TO THIS EPISODE
With the first mission of our GEHIRNfutter Podcast, we begin a journey of knowledge to the limits of our consciousness and our perception - based on modern brain research.
What this journey of knowledge is about can be found in our BRAIN Food Podcast Trailer read and listen. There is also our current schedule.
Hello there outside the digital world receivers! We welcome you to our first BITCH FOOD podcast episode. We, that are Uwe Volk and Thomas Tankiewicz. And we are the co-founders of the NEURONprocessing Institute for Brain and Futures Research. In our first episode we want to introduce you to the typical sequence of a podcast episode:
We start with the news of the week, then talk about our core topics of awareness and perception in the talk, conduct interviews with experts on issues that arise from our mission - and then draw a conclusion at the end of the show, as they brought us on our journey of knowledge Has.
So, as already said, as always start with the news of the week. Say what our personal highlights were.
1. Uwe's highlight of the week: Listen in the podcast.
"Classification of experiences."
2. Thomas highlight of the week:
"Increasing the level of consciousness in waking coma patients."
What has fascinated me most is a message that went through many trade media and I believe that makes many people hope. And indeed, it has been possible to bring consciousness coma patients back into consciousness by means of nervous stimulation - in fact, in an elevated state of consciousness.
I quote here once www.spektrum.de from 25.09.2017:
A team led by Martina Corazzol from the Université Claude Bernard Lyon1 has succeeded, with the help of nerve stimulation, in eliciting a feeling of alertness from a guard comatose patient. The 35-year-old was in a vegetative state at the time of the experiment since 15 years, the scientists write in their case study, which they now publish in the journal "Current Biology". Such a condition is characterized by the fact that the sufferers often still have basic body functions such as breathing and sleep-awake rhythm, but no longer consciously react to their environment. The patient in the present study was responsible for a severe traumatic brain injury after a car accident.
To see if her condition could be improved, Corazzol and her colleagues implanted a vagus nerve stimulator in the chest under his skin. The vagus nerve is the tenth cranial nerve and connects the brain to a number of other body parts and organs such as the intestine. For example, epilepsy patients or people with treatment-resistant depression may benefit from its stimulation - and apparently also coma patients, as the results of the study suggest.
And in the Süddeutsche was read on the 26.09.2017:
For several weeks, the researchers increased the current strength with which they irritated the vagus nerve. After a month, the neuroscientists watched as the patient suddenly complied. If they asked him to follow a mirror with his eyes, he suddenly succeeded. If they asked him to turn his head, he did as well. He smiled and even cried as they played his favorite music. "A patient's brain can still recover if all hope has long since been given up," says Angela Sirigu. Instead of five points, the patient now reached ten points on the 23 score scale for consciousness disorders. And thus took an important hurdle: He had come from the vegetative state into a minimal state of consciousness.
Next, the French researchers plan to conduct a larger study with more patients. And this should clarify whether the Vagus Nerve Stimulation actually has the potential for a therapy in Wachkomapatienten.
One focus of our podcast is the topic of consciousness, which we want to explore more deeply on our shared journey of knowledge. Since we use a novel think tank at our institute, we have also once again begun to think the subject over. At this point we would like to briefly introduce you to the main topics to which we are currently developing novel content and relationships.
1. Definition Awareness - Superior
Here we go to fundamental questions - eg:
- How can consciousness be described from a scientific point of view and from the point of view of the general public?
- Or a description of the parameters required to speak of consciousness.
- And most of all: how does consciousness become overwhelmingly.
- etc. ...
2. Definition of consciousness - partial aspects
Here we try to differentiate between the different types of consciousness - eg:
- body conscious
- Gestured consciousness
- relationship awareness
- etc. ...
3. Development awareness
This is primarily about how we can develop our consciousness and which factors it is subject to - for example:
- A possible practical guide to developing a strong sense of self.
- Or - how can the individual positively deal with the incoming influences on the consciousness?
- etc. ...
4. Collective Consciousness - Superior
Here we go to the overriding idea of a collective consciousness and ask, for example:
- What is the structure of Collective Consciousness?
- What is the differentiation between individual consciousness, group consciousness and collective consciousness - that is, how do they differ from one another?
- etc. ...
4.1. Collective Consciousness - Group Awareness
Here we primarily deal with the structure and application of group awareness - such as:
- What are possible applications of group awareness?
- What is the process from which individual consciousness creates a group consciousness?
- etc. ...
4.2. Collective Consciousness - Collective Consciousness
Here, on the assumption of the collective consciousness, we try to track down this, in which we ask ourselves questions like:
- What is the origin and meaning of the collective consciousness?
- What is the connection between individual consciousness and collective consciousness?
- How can the individual use the collective consciousness?
- etc. ...
5. Manipulation awareness - manipulation
In this last point, we want to investigate the manipulability of consciousness - and, for example:
- Show types of manipulation.
- Describe the effects of manipulation types.
- etc. ...
In our first broadcast we do not have an external interview partner yet. Therefore, we first interview each other for you, so you get to know us better. Say, what brought each one of us to the subject of perception and consciousness ...?
1. Uwe's trigger or development: Listen in the podcast.
2. Thomas trigger or development: Listen in the podcast.
V. RESUME OF THE SHIPMENT
What has this program brought us in terms of content on our journey of knowledge that we have begun today? With which questions do we go to the next program and who can stand here as a specialist expert if necessary.
1. Summary Uwe: Listen in the podcast.
2. Resume Thomas: Listen in the podcast.
VI. OUTLOOK FOR THE NEXT SENDING
In the next program, we will introduce the key questions about perception that we want to explore in this podcast.
And we are looking for an interview partner who answers our questions as an expert on the topic of consciousness from a scientific perspective.
When does it continue?
Next week we will be back on the air. Just subscribe to our podcast and be informed about new episodes.